Its important to check if you have any CPAP insurance benefits remaining before the end of the year. Most benefits do not roll over into the new year, so now’s the time to stock up on any supplies that you need to replace.
Besides your supplies like masks, filters and hoses, many insurance policies also cover a new CPAP machine every 5 years! CPAP technology is continuous evolving and improving, therefore replacing your machine is something you may want to consider if you have coverage.
Why is it important to replace CPAP supplies?
If you’re diligent in your CPAP therapy, you probably want to make sure that you’re getting all the benefits out of it. Sometimes it may seem like everything is working the way it should, however even small mask leaks and clogged filters can hamper the effectiveness of your therapy.
Obtaining a good seal between the PAP mask interface and your skin is important to help you get the benefits of continuous airflow. New tubing, filters and humidifier chambers also keep your therapy in top notch condition, while reducing the potential for bacteria growth.
Did you know? After a while, cleaning doesn’t cut it!
A study done by researchers at Harvard determined that disposable supplies lose their ability to be cleaned after a certain time-period.* This results in bacteria build-up, stiffness in the flexibility and effectiveness of the silicon mask seal.
Recommended replacement schedule
Every 2 months
- Ultrafine Filter – Filters can wear out or clog if not replaced, and can expose you to dust, mold, and germs.
Every 6 – 12 months
- Mask Cushions and nasal pillows – The silicon can degrade. Replace to ensure a good seal and fit.
- Mask – Silicon loses the ability to be cleaned and can grow bacteria and mold.
- Headgear and chin straps – Material can stretch out – resulting in overtightening. It also can harbour germs.
- Non-disposable Filters – Can clog if not replaced and can grow bacteria and mold.
- Water chamber – Can age and crack, grow bacteria or mold.
- Tubing – Can wear down and cause leaking, which decrease therapy effectiveness.
Ordering your CPAP supplies through Aveiro Sleep
For your convenience and the safety, Aveiro Sleep offers curb-side pick up from one of our 25 clinics throughout Alberta, or we can ship directly to you!
Aveiro Sleep provides Home Sleep Apnea Testing, CPAP therapy and support services catered to obstructive sleep apnea. Our local clinics allow us to test, treat, and support thousands of Albertans close to their homes.
*Alex Horowitz, Sandra Horowitz MD FRCP(C), Chinhak Chun MD. SleepHealth Centers, Division of Sleep Medicine, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston